Saturday, March 23, 2013

Safety Training

Over the last couple of days I've been taking advantage of some safety training courses, that are available as refresher courses for commercial fishermen.   I also use Gwen-Paul-M for commercial shellfish potting as well as angling.

As a minimum requirement to go to sea as a commercial fisherman, whether crew or skipper, the following certificates are needed; Sea Survival, First Aid, Firefighting, and Safety Awareness. I have completed these courses some years ago, but despite the fact that they were still valid its always good to have a refresher. Also the courses change from year to year, as opinions of how to deal with certain situations alter, especially in First Aid.

So yesterday we ended up in Llandudno swimming pool inflating a liferaft and climbing in and out, which was actually good fun in the end.  Hopefully I never have to deploy a liferaft in anger but it is great to do it in a controlled environment, so that you know exactly what will happen if the raft is needed.

Today I completed the First Aid Course.  Tomorrow, as the angling trip is cancelled due to strong easterly winds, I will be able to attend the Firefighting course.  I will also attend a Stability Course next month which is an very important aspect of commercial fishing boat operation.

I have resheduled tomorrow's angling trip (10 hour) for April 7th and there is one place left on it. Winter still grips us and as frosts are forecast here all week I hope to manage a couple of late season winter climbs in Snowdonia at the end of this week.

I'm constructing a little history section in the website, about the business.  If anyone is interested, click on this link to have a look, http://www.sea-fishing-trips.co.uk/?q=node/15.


No comments:

Post a Comment